If your color printer will only print black and white, even though your settings are set for color prints. The most likely cause is you are out of color toner and the printer has automaticaly switched to black and white.
Most of the newer color printers will have a screen on them. If you are low on toner you will see a yellow triangle with and exclamation point over the colored bars. If you click that button it will pull open the Toner window that will show you the levels remaining of toner. From this window you can also click print report to have a full report on toner levels printed as well as the Cartridge Numbers for ordering.
- Click Start
- On the Right hand column click "Devices and Printers"
- In this new window right click on the desired printer.
- In this context menu select Printer Properties
- From this point it will vary from printer to printer, but you are going to look for a section called reports.
- Select: toner report, status report, maintenance report, supply report, or levels report. It could be named any of those.
- This will print a report containing the toner levels and if you need to replace any.